24 June 2014
It takes its inspiration from vintage models, but updates them in their materials and mechanism. The Luminor 1950 Chrono Monopulsante Left-Handed 8 Days Titanio 47 mm—that is its full name—has in fact the winding crown on the left: just like the watches made by Panerai, around 1930/40, for the commandos of the Italian Royal Navy, who wore them on the right wrist because they had a compass or depth gauge on the left one. And like the chronographs of yesteryear, the start/stop/reset functions are grouped in a single push-piece. Also typical of the past are the device for protecting the crown (patented), the “sandwich” dial (two superimposed discs, with the luminous substance in the middle) and the large dimensions (those of a professional timepiece). Very modern instead are the titanium of the case, which makes it light despite the diameter of 47 mm, and the in-house movement: the hand-wound P.2004 caliber, with the 8 days of power reserve indicated on the bottom plate. A must for enthusiasts, it is produced in a special series of 300 pieces, on sale from July.